Position Summary: Registered Social Worker/Mental Health Generalist
To apply for this position, email your cover letter, resume, and professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Registered Social Worker’s primary function is to work with patients to determine, advocate for, and attain appropriate community resources and programs. The Social Worker will collaborate with Primary Care Physicians, their clinical staff, and other Primary Care Support team members to deliver and support through a patient-centred approach.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide appropriate mental health services/Psychosocial intervention based on evidence-based practice standards.
• Intake screening and preliminary assessment including referrals, consultation, and liaising with PCN providers, family physicians, community partners Measure clients’ progress regularly and adjust treatment accordingly.
• Lead patient education programs (e.g., depression or anxiety groups).
• Assist patients to access community resources related to, but not limited to income support and transportation.
• Works with patients to build capacity to self-manage their conditions and circumstances.
• Establish treatment goals, priorities, and plans.
• Makes appropriate referrals to other services and resources.
• Collaborates with clients on how to manage their conditions independently and help them prevent avoidable recurrences or complications.
• Actively participates in program development and quality improvement activities.
• Adheres to Canadian Association of Social Workers’ code of ethics and guidelines for ethical practice.
Required Skills & Abilities:
• Fluency in English language (written and verbal)
• Demonstrated ability to empathize with and understand individual patient needs.
• Ability to deal effectively with the difficult behaviours sometimes exhibited by people in distress.
• Ability to assess and manage risk.
• Ability to function cooperatively with physicians and clinic staff in a multidisciplinary setting.
• Ability to build a good working relationship with patients, families, and other healthcare professionals.
• Effective teaching and facilitation skills for clients, colleagues, and students.
• Ability to make evidence-based decisions based on social work practice standards.
• Ability to monitor best practices, develop new skills and apply theory to practice.
• Ability to identify when input and collaboration with other professionals would enhance case management.
• Use of vehicle for business use may occasionally be required. Possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a motor vehicle for work-related travel is required.
• Ability to occasionally work outside of normal business hours.
• Registration with applicable regulating body/association.
• Have a minimum of two years of Mental Health and Social work front line experience
• Experience in a health care setting is considered an asset.
• Previous use of an electronic medical record system considered an asset Experience in a health care setting considered an asset.
The McLeod River PCN thanks you for your interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.