Family Practice Nurse
Position Summary: Family Practice Nurse LPN
Location: Whitecourt Alberta
.80 FTE (30 Hrs per week) Temporary Maternity Cover
12-14 month Fixed Term Contract
Position Day shift, Tuesday-Friday – Benefit package – Matching RRSP
To apply for this position, email your cover letter, resume, and professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Family Practice Nurse (FPN) position will work collaboratively within a family practice environment to enhance the delivery of primary care services in alignment with the Patient’s Medical Home Model of Care. The FPN will coordinate care, assist with medication management, and provide education and support for patients with various health needs, including but not limited to Seniors’ Health, Screening & Prevention.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide comprehensive team-based care under the supervision and leadership of the primary care physician(s)
• Coordinate and manage patients’ care within the professional scope of practice while complementing care offered directly by physicians.
• Support the development and monitoring of treatment plans and coordinate care for patients
• Utilize a patient and family-partnered care approach to care delivery which ensures that patients/families are partners in their health care planning and treatment.
• Facilitate continuity of care between the patient, physician, and other healthcare team members.
• Collaborate effectively with primary care physicians, PCN team members, health care professionals from external agencies, and contacts at other health/social care organizations.
• Conduct assessments, initiate and implement management strategies, and provide appropriate follow-up according to practice protocols.
• Document patient health history, assessment, treatment information, reports, and referrals in the EMR
• Coordinate routine screening for patients.
• Conduct screening assessments for dementia, mental health, etc.
• Provide wound care, administer injections, and utilize additional clinical skills as required
• Organize consultations and coordinate patient care/services with other team members and community agencies.
Required Skills & Abilities:
• Fluency in English language (written and verbal)
• Computer skills: email, MS Word, MS Excel, scheduling
• Effective teaching and communication skills
• Able to recognize a change in a patient’s health status and determine when to collaborate with the family physician.
• Ability to effectively utilize Electronic Medical Record (EMR) software
• Ability to maintain accurate records in line with practice policy.
• Able to make evidence-based decisions per best practice guidelines.
• Knowledge of privacy legislation and associated obligations within a healthcare setting
• Able to build collaborative and respectful relationships with patients, families, and other healthcare professionals.
• Licensed Practical Nurse
• Registered with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA)
The McLeod River PCN thanks you for your interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.